Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kindle problems & FAQ

Common issues with Kindle from what I have seen so far include, using Mobipocket, or some other non Amazon desktop software, to load books onto Kindle can be a little frustrating.

Because it will load them into the "wrong" folder, by design the Kindle will only show items from 2 or so files.

To read a book you will need to make sure the file is in the "documents" folder.  Also, you can't NEST folders, the kindle won't see them if you do that.  Unless you want to that on purpose to organize stuff, but you will need a PC/laptop then to shuffle items into view on the Kindle.

For audio AFAIK it only works with MP3 files, and putting them in the "audible" works better for me than the "music" file.  You can pause, fast forward, pick specific file, etc.

Now if you want to listen to MP3 WHILE reading then you will have to put the MP3 file in "music" folder.

Also remember unless it is disabled, because of copyright issues, the Kindle can read any ebook you have on it out loud to you. 

For putting non DRM books onto your kindle you will need a PC/laptop.  I either use Mobipocket reader on my PC or a simple folder. Mobipocket lets you send one or many or all new ebooks easily to the Kindle.  Only problem is Amazon changed Kindle so the "ebooks" folder where Mobi sends the books to will not show up on your Kindle screen.

It is in the Kindle memory just not accessible.  Go to "my computer" click on Kindle so it opens, select all the books in the "ebook" folder and move them to "documents" folder.

Right mouse click on your project gutenberg book, or whatever, click "save as" pick the folder you want to save it in.

Once the book is on your computer all you have to do is connect your Kindle, I use "My Computer" select Kindle (just like using a flash drive) and open the file on computer with Ebooks.  Simply drag Ebooks you want on your Kindle to the "documents" folder on your Kindle.  The Kindle may have an "ebooks" folder but that won't show up for you to read.

Or if you get it in another folder it probably won't show up on the Kindle's Screen.

If you have any questions or problems that I haven't covered or my descriptions are not clear please post below and I will do my best to help.

Kindle can be a pain at times, I still like mine though.

No comments:

Post a Comment