Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Complete Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper

I discovered Little Fuzzy, the first Fuzzy novel that was originally published in the '60s, when I was in High School.  I really liked it the first time I read it, and I still enjoy rereading it every year or so, it is a charming story.

The Complete Fuzzy contains all three Fuzzy novels:  Little Fuzzy, Fuzzy Sapiens, and Fuzzies and Other People.

If you have never heard of the Fuzzies your in for a real treat.  They are cute little people, that can be quit funny, they also make for very good companions.  They are around 2-3 feet tall and approximately 20 lbs according to the novels.

The Complete Fuzzy starts with Humans discovering Fuzzies, Humans have occupied the Fuzzies native planet for some years before the Fuzzies are discovered.

The Fuzzies are clearly Sapient, and there are laws in the novel's universe that limit how the planets of Sapients can be used by Humans.  This provides the primary conflict and tension in the first half or so of The Complete Fuzzy.

Since I don't want to spoil this splendid story for anyone, I will only say the rest of the story involves an adventure for some Fuzzies.

I really recommend this book to everyone.  I would say it is suitable for all readers, both male and female, from 5th grade on up.

Only caveat for younger readers, this story was written in a time when tobacco smoking and social drinking were considered the norm.  This may be a concern for parents of  younger readers.

Other than that one concern, I think this book makes an excellent gift for young readers or adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment