Sunday, September 25, 2011

All The Way To The Gallows by David Drake

Ever laugh so hard that people turned to stare at you?

Well that happened to me more than once the first time I read All The Way To The Gallows.

It is hard for me to pick my favorite story in this Anthology, all the stories are by David Drake, but "Airborne All The Way" is the first one that made people stare at me when I started laughing so hard I cried.

But "Mom and the Kids" or "A Very Offensive Weapon" are better stories in my opinion.  They both made me laugh out loud the first time I read them.  And they still make me laugh most of the time when I reread them.

I think I would probably pick "A Very Offensive Weapon" as my favorite most days.  There is more word play humor that writers and thespians will appreciate.  For example, many of the Elves in this story are named after actual tranquilizers.  And I like to think of myself as a writer.


Also fans of other authors might be interested in this book, since at least a couple of the stories feature input from other authors.  Larry Niven and Roger Zelazny to name two of which I am certain.

Another of the stories was originally intended to tie in with Magic The Gathering.

I don't recommend this book for everyone, because much of the Humor is Gallows Humor, which many people find offensive.  Also I would rate it PG-13 for sexual innuendo.


But for anyone that likes, or needs, to laugh at death and despair I suggest you read it today if possible. 

But if you have any self consciousness, do yourself a favor and read in private.

No comments:

Post a Comment